Heavy smoke causes panic at Lagos airport
There was confusion at the departure hall of the
Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos
on Thursday due to a thick smoke caused by a
spark from one of the electrical panels on the
second floor of the terminal.
It was learnt that the spark which occurred at
about noon caused tension among passengers as
they scampered for safety.
The smoke, according airport users, permeated
the departure terminal from the second floor
where the spark had occurred.
The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria,
however, described the incident as a minor
smoke at the departure hall which happened at
Our correspondent gathered that many travellers
had difficulties with breathing as the smell of the
smoke enveloped the hall, while fire fighters from
FAAN fire department went round the floors to
ascertain the immediate cause of the smoke.
A fire tender machine marked P6-03 and a water
hydrant Hilux vehicle with Lagos registration
number FKJ 407 AS were parked outside the
terminal while the firemen, numbering about 12
searched the building from floor to floor.
The fire fighters later left the scene at 12.40pm
having ensured that the smoke was successfully
The incident caused panic among employees of
different organisations at the airport, as some of
them enquired from their superiors if work could
go on during the period.
The General Manager, Corporate Communication,
FAAN, Mr. Yakubu Dati, said the smoke was put
out by a combined team of the authority’s
electrical engineers and fire officers.
He said no one was hurt by the incident and flight
operations were not effected negatively.
- MIC Boss’s Widow Recounts Experience After The Plane Crash
- Banks to invest N598bn in power sector – FG
- Navy Arrests 50 Pipeline Vandals, Recovers 6,000 Gallons of Stolen Crude at ikorodu lagos
- German August industry output plunged — Report
- Nigeria ranked 127 out of 144 in global competitivene
- Otti resigns as Diamond Bank GMD, CEO
You must log in to post a comment.